httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Cameron Roe[home]" <cam...@telusplanet.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How to Configure Apache to work behind router with a dynamic IP [ver 2]
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:56:44 GMT
So it turns out that I had everything configured correctly! Port 80 on the
router was indeed forwarding to port 80 on the server. The problem was
simple. My ISP was blocking. Apparently they do not block any ports for
STATIC IP addresses (more $) but they do for dynamic IP address (less $). So
when I called them and asked if they blocked port 80 they said 'no' when
really they meant 'yes'!! Aarrrgggg!!!! Easy to workaround and listen to
port 8080 or something but what a waste of time for me and everyone who
volunteered their time and effort helping. The good news is that I learned
lots and talked to some new folk. Thanks to all who helped out!

Cheers

Cam

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Walls [mailto:k6ccc@earthlink.net]
Sent: September 25, 2004 11:45 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] How to Configure Apache to work behind router
with a dynamic IP [ver 2]

<snip>
>>When I try IE (or Netscape) from an external machine (outside of the
>>local
>>network) I do not see the default apache test page as I do when I use
>>browse to the site on a local machine.
>>The error message that I get on Netscape is
>>
>>The connection was refused when attempting to contact xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>>
>>(which sounds like a network 'thing')
>>
>>I attempted to telnet to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 80     and got the same
connection
>>refused. Actually 'connection timed out' from a linux box and a 'Could
>>not open connection to the host, on port 80' from a windows box.
>>
>>There are no messages in either the access_log or the error_log so I'm
>>assuming that the request never gets to apache!  Is there access on
>>port 80 that needs to be set?

I have not been reading the mail on this list for a while (vacation) so this
may have already been brought up, so I apologize if this is duplicated
information.

I am understanding that you have a dynamic IP from your ISP going to a
router (I'm assuming a NAT router) and then your server is on your internal
network.  This is EXACTLY how my network is configured here at home and my
Apache is working just fine.

The problem has nothing to do with Apache, but rather with your router.
  You need to configure it to forward port 80 traffic to the IP address that
your server resides on on your internal network.

For example, this is the state of my server at this moment.  The WAN side of
my router is a DHCP client and obtains a dynamic IP assignment from
Earthlink.  At the moment it's 4.33.189.176 The LAN side of my router has an
IP of 192.168.1.1 on my local network.
  The router operates as a DHCP server and will assign up to 50 addresses
starting at 192.168.1.100 (although normally everything except my company
laptop uses status IP addresses).
My server has a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.11 I have configured my router
to forward port 80 traffic from the WAN
(internet) side to a LAN address of 192.168.1.11 (the server).
In my case, I add another step (that does not affect this at all), in that I
use a dynamic DNS provider (DNS2Go) that translates k6ccc.org and w6sce.org
to whatever IP address I am getting from Earthlink.

--
73