httpd-users mailing list archives

From <cam...@telusplanet.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How to Configure Apache to work behind router with a dynamic IP [ver 2]
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:07:44 GMT
 <SNIP>
> But I can't surf to it!

What does this mean?
What is the error, exactly ?
Have you checked the logs (access and error) ?

When I try IE (or Netscape) from an external machine (outside of the local
network) I do not see the default apache test page as I do when I use browse
to the site on a local machine.
The error message that I get on Netscape is

The connection was refused when attempting to contact xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

(which sounds like a network 'thing')

I attempted to telnet to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 80     and got the same connection
refused. Actually 'connection timed out' from a linux box and a 'Could not
open connection to the host, on port 80' from a windows box.

There are no messages in either the access_log or the error_log so I'm
assuming that the request never gets to apache!  Is there access on port 80
that needs to be set?

As I mentioned I thought the only thing was the iptables, that I turned off.
So when I do an iptables -L   I get the following:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source  		destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source  		destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source  		destination

I belive that this should allow all access. ( I can telnet to it)

Many thanks for the suggestions by the way! Is there anything else I should
be doing?

Cheers

Cam