httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Caspar von Seckendorff" <seckendo...@alphatec.de>
Subject [users@httpd] LogFormat %...T request duration parameter measurement
Date Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:27:59 GMT
Maybe somebody could help me understand further what the %...T switch in
custom log formats means (e.g. as a parameter to "LogFormat").

In the docs (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats)
it says the following (same for Apache 1.3 and 2.0):

%...T:          The time taken to serve the request, in seconds.

Does this mean

A) "processing time" (i.e. processor usage),
B) "total time taken until the data has been compiled to be sent to the
client, including waiting time" or
C) "total time taken from the time the request arrived until the last bit
has arrived on the client side"?

I realized that requests the have a large request duration value are often
static HTML-pages, which should'nt take long to process. So I tend to
believe the third interpretation is valid and much of request duration is
due to the slow downstream of our users.

Any other opinions?

Greetings,

-Caspar