httpd-users mailing list archives

From g p <past1...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] from win to linux how to web page
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:47:10 GMT

Well,

I looked into those files by they are empty except comments.

I wonder what it takes to resolve this one, hopefully there is a way to get it working.

Thanks,

george

"David P. Donahue" <ddonahue@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:Have you checked your hosts.allow and
hosts.deny files? I'm not sure if
my original suggestion was posted to the list as I was having email
problems that day, so I'll paste it below...

----------
Perhaps you need to edit your /etc/hosts.allow file? Some Linux distros
automatically put "ALL:ALL" in /etc/hosts.deny which would block all
traffic unless otherwise specified (which is a good idea). If this is
the case, putting "httpd:ALL" in /etc/hosts.allow would allow people to
access Apache.
----------

-----Original Message-----
From: g p [mailto:past12pm@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 12:58 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] from win to linux how to web page

Tim,
it just does not want to load. I created an IP that is within my router
and I can ping the Linux box via this new IP but I cannot bring up the
browser on the Windows box, drives me crazy. I do have putty but that
does not connect either.

Thanks,
george

Tim Johnson wrote:
Hi George, I did two things when testing. I logged in via ssh from
Windows, and
also used VNC. I got the same results from both. I am not sure I
understand
your question though. I simply used the DNS name or IP, I forget
exactly, but I
suspect it was with the DNS name. Apache will listen by default on all
IPs thus
as long as it's listening on the same IP as the dns points to no change
on
linux is required. If you want to log into linux from windows using
command
line (which you probably know how to do but I'll say just in case), make
sure
you have sshd running, and get SCRT (it's not free but worth buying, but
you
can use 'putty' for free on windows if you don't have SCRT). I'd suggest
you
don't allow root access though (without keys at least). Anyway, I've
babbles
enough, let me know if I am on the right track with your question.

Tim

Quoting g p :

> Tim,
>
> how do you log on from windows to Linux? From a command line?
>
> I setup the virtual host on Apache but still cannot connect. What
files do I
> need to modify on Linux? I modified hosts and network files but so far
no
> success.
>
> Thanks,
> george
>
> Tim Johnson wrote:
> Hi George, I came in late on this, but as long as you have Apache
listening
> on
> port 80 (on all IPs that the linux box has, just to be safe) and you
verify
> that your traceroute to the IP Linux is on is actually the correct
machine
> (can
> you log into it from the windows box?) you should be able to connect
to it
> using http://linux.ip.address/ If you don't have virtual hosts setup,
or if
> you
> have your test page setup as the default, you *should* see it.
>
> Tim
>
> Quoting g p
> :
>
> > Yes it does, that is what I have it set up on both machines and I
can ping
> > either one by those IPs.
> > Thanks,
> > george
> >
> > Jonathan Mangin wrote:
> > Well, no one else asked.
> > Your router is doing DHCP? Try all static IPs.

I want
> > to post. But somehow I cannot get the windows to access the browser
on
> Linux
> > and I thought it might be the Apache conf file that needs to allow
the
> > access.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > gp
> >
> > operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Patrick,
> >
> > i think he's asking how to set a URL so that it points
> > to the linux box as opposed to his own windows box
> > (hosts file) or the net (regular internet dns).
> >
> > i haven't gotten to that point yet, but i will soon
> > enough. i don't know the answer yet, either.
> >
> > i think it has to do with the IP addresses one
> > specifies, but not sure.
> >

> > --- Patrick Boutilier wrote:

> > > another box connected
> > > httpd.conf file to access
> > > from the windows? Would
> > > page from windows on
> > >
> > > Use a web browser?

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > users-help@httpd.apache.org

> > Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. Download now.
> > http://messenger.yahoo.com

Do you Yahoo!?