httpd-users mailing list archives

From Javier Carlos Viegas <javiercvie...@yahoo.com.ar>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: linux setup, would you help?
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:53:21 GMT
> Seems like you are expert on setting the Linux
> environment, would you tell me what files do I need
> to modify so I can make the Linux server visible for
> windows? Also, I am running Apache on the Linux but
> I cannot get the web page from linux to display on
> windows, would you help?
> All I get is: "The page cannot be displayed".
> Thanks,
> george

Hi george,

Basically, you only need to modify httpd.conf and
commonhttpd.conf located at /etc/httpd/conf: With your
favorite text editor just make sure you get this or
add it:

To /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

ServerType standalone
ServerRoot /etc/httpd/2.0
DocumentRoot /whereyou/got/yoursite/files (usually
/var/www/something)

To /etc/httpd/conf/commonhttpd.conf

User apache (or whatever user you like to run apache
under, customary apache)

Group apache (or whatever group you like to run apache
under, customary apache)

ServerAdmin your@mail.com (this is for people to know
whats the webmaster´s mail)

There´s a section that looks like this:

#
#  This should be changed to whatever you set
DocumentRoot to
#
<Directory /var/www/yoursitefiles>

I think that´s it, but i should warn you that this is
the very basic configuration but for making it work
its ok.

Hope it works.
Javier

###Send mails to the list not a particular person,
that way many people should see problems and help to
fix them###