httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.50 and MS Word Files
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:55:37 GMT
Quoting Sean Goodell <sean.goodell@tufts.edu>:

> I am having a problem serving MS Word files (.doc) from an Apache 2.0.5
> Server.  Some of the files appear fine while the more complex documents
> are served up corrupted.  The user is asked to choose encoding and no
> matter what you choose the document is corrupted.  All of the files work
> fine on our development serve which is running Apache 1.3.  I don't know
> what to try, any ideas?
>
> Sean Goodell

Ah, good luck.  I've had all sorts of problems serving doc files with apache.
I've tried this list many times and while many people have been helpful in
attempting to figure out my problem, there has been no solution as of
yet.  The
biggest problem seems to be that when attempting to open a doc file from our
intranet apache server, some people will get the doc fine and others
will get a
"page cannot be displayed" error.  Exact same url on all machines..some work,
some dont.  It doesnt *appear* to be an apache issue but rather a
windows/IE/word problem.  The issue does not happen when using firefox, but
then again, firefox doesnt attempt to open the .doc file itself, it hands it
off to word.  However when using IE, it attempts to open word *within*
IE which
i believe is where the problem is.  If you come up with any helpful
information
i would love to hear it.

-Jim