httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bill Moran <wmo...@potentialtech.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Logging many, many virtualhosts to a centralized logging server
Date Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:20:02 GMT
Hongwei Zhang <rapidtiger@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have all my logs write to an NFS share and run webalizer on that
> server. Hope this will help.

The biggest problem with this is what happens if the NFS server is
unavailable for a period of time.  In our experience, Apache freezes up
until the NFS server comes back.  The current system (which uses syslog)
has this advantage ... even though log entries are lost, Apache keeps
serving.  We could workaround this (somewhat) by using soft, interruptable
mounts, I suppose.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies