httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Thompson <ht...@sasknow.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Logging many, many virtualhosts to a centralized logging server
Date Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:38:28 GMT
Bill Moran wrote to users@httpd.apache.org:

Hi Bill,

> I tried some searches on this topic, and simply wasn't able to get any
> relevent hits.  So suggestions on searching are welcome as well as
> direct suggestions.
>
> We have 4 web servers, each of which has 20-40 virtual hosts on it, and
> we want to log them all to a central location so a dedicated server can
> generate stats (plus, the log files are taking up quite a bit of space).
>
> In order to get stats, we need each virtualhost to log to its own
> location.

I would recommend against that. Just log to one file (per server), and
use CustomLog and LogFormat to include the %v (virtual host) for every
request, and then /periodically/ run a cron job to split the output into
virtual hosts for webalizer, grouping on that %v directive.

Each server logs to its own local access.log, which you can, at regular
intervals (minutes to hours), split and copy or SCP to your master
server with webalizer. That way, apache is always logging locally, and
if your link to the master log server goes down, apache is still happy,
and the only thing that happens is the updates time out and don't get
published until the next interval.

And, to save space, you can of course rotate the access.log once the
information has been delivered to the master.

You get reliability, scalability, and efficiency, and it's pretty darned
trivial to set up.

- Ryan

--
   Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

         Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon