httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite[SOLVED]
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:18:27 GMT
Steffen Heil wrote:
> What is better / faster / less memory consuming ?
> mod_rewrite or mod_alias ?

It's very hard to tell which is faster without a real benchmark, mod_rewrite
needs alot more processing to do its work, and there is also a regex that
must be executed (and possibly also be compiled on the fly), which is pretty
expensive.

My bet would be that mod_alias is faster. That together with its simplicity,
makes it better IMO.

In memory consumtion, I don't think there isn't much different. I guess that
the data structure for a rewrite rule might be slightly larger than for a
Redirect directive, but probably insignificant.

Even though I love mod_rewrite, I think the general rule is to only use it
as a last resort. mod_rewrite can do almost anything, but specialized
modules/directives are generally more optimized for their task, as well as
easier to understand.

Regards,
Robert Andersson