httpd-users mailing list archives

From "oxfordmusic.net" <li...@oxfordmusic.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] [newbie] Content negotiation problem
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:17:05 GMT
>>> I am trying to set up Content negotiation on a RHEL3 box with   Apache
>>> version 2.0.46.
>>> The idea is that all URLs on the site will have no extension to match up
>>> files on the server with a .host extension.
>>> My virtual server container looks like this:
>>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>>> DocumentRoot /var/www/html/www
>>> ServerName host.mydomain.com
>>> ServerAlias host.mydomain.com
>>> AddHandler type-map .var
>>> AddType application/x-type-map .var
>>
>> The AddType should not be needed.
>>
>>> ErrorDocument 404 /index.host
>>> DirectoryIndex index
>>> </VirtualHost>
>>>
>>> And /var/www/html/www/faqs.var:
>>> URI: faqs
>>>
>>> URI: faqs.host
>>>
>>> When I hit http://host.mydomain.com/faqs, I get the index page (because
>>> it's
>>> the error page) but when I hit http://host.mydomain.com/faqs.host I get
>>> the
>>> content of my faqs.host page as intended.
>>
>> You need to request faqs.var.  If you want it to work without the
>> extension, you need to activate the Multiviews option (in which case
>> you could probably do without the type-map anyway), or you need to
>> rename your file to not have the extension and usee a SetHandler
>> directive to mark it as a type-map.

 nope, that doesn't work i'm afraid.

FWIW, the error in the logs is as follows:
[Fri Sep 24 17:09:07 2004] [error] [client my.ip.ad.ress] File does not
exist: /var/www/html/www/faqs
and if i do a ls /var/www/html/www/faqs*:
/var/www/html/www/faqs.var
/var/www/html/www/faqs.wgt

what puzzles me is i've got this working on a Cobalt RaQ4 (based on RH6,
Apache 1.3) just by adding the *.var files to the right directory.

cheers

andy