httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject [users@httpd] MultiViews and Error 406 (Document not acceptable to client)
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:32:07 GMT
Hello,

I often (ab)use MultiViews in order to avoid irrelevant file extensions in
my URIs. Eg. "/path/to/doc" rather than "/path/to/doc.php" etc. This
generally works just fine, and I also use the "force-no-vary" env flag to
allow IE to cache the response.

However, I note that I get a lot of 406 (document not acceptable to client)
errors on these URIs, primarily from bots, and msnbot in particular.

I'm not very surprised, but yet I am not sure why this happens or how I can
prevent it. I haven't been able to sniff what headers the bots are sending.
I could probably try to log all headers, but this is production sites, and I
don't want to mess things up. It's not easy to set up a test machine, as I
need the bots visit. I've tried to craft requests that trigger this
behaviour, but no luck.

I realize that I do *abuse* MutliViews since I, in this case, don't use it
to provide alternate versions. I welcome any ideas, or insights, of how to
prevent these 406 errors.

I can just include what a note in RFC 2616 (HTTP 1.1) says about the 406
code:

    Note: HTTP/1.1 servers are allowed to return responses which are
    not acceptable according to the accept headers sent in the
    request. In some cases, this may even be preferable to sending a
    406 response. User agents are encouraged to inspect the headers of
    an incoming response to determine if it is acceptable.

Regards,
Robert Andersson