httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David P. Donahue" <ddona...@ccs.neu.edu>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How to Configure Apache to work behind router with a dynamic IP
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:50:06 GMT
You may also wish to note which piece of hardware on your network is
actually holding your public IP (as obtained from whatismyip.com).
Attempts to access that IP from within the network may be perceived
differently by such hardware than attempts from outside the network.

For example, on my DSL connection it is the DSL modem which holds the
public IP.  And this same modem has a web interface for configuration.
Thus, any attempts from within the network to go to my public IP result
in seeing the configuration page.  From outside the network, however,
port 80 requests are forwarded correctly and everything works fine.  My
solution for my LAN machines was to edit the hosts files and point my
domain name at the proper internal IP.

The only thing I can think of in httpd.conf that would relate to this
would be the ServerName directive (not sure if that has changed in
Apache 2, I'm using 1.3.31).  This could cause problems if the server
name being returned isn't properly qualifiable from the client.  It
should be something that any client can browse to, both inside your LAN
and outside.

www.whatismyip.com, my