httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Shaun Campbell" <sha...@uk2.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Building Apache and SSL
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:18:28 GMT
I'm trying to set up Apache on Redhat 8 so that I can route https URIs to my servlet running
under Tomcat.

The server came preinstalled with Apache 2.0.40 in what I understand is a Redhat layout i.e
/etc/httpd, /var/www etc.

I didn't know whether SSL was installed so I decided to download Apache 2.0.51 source and
rebuild from scratch. I initially tried to build in RedHat layout with ssl enabled using ./configure
--enable-ssl --enable-layout=RedHat.  I did this in order to make use of the Apache startup
scripts /etc/rc.. It seemed to build okay and install in the correct places although when
I looked in httpd.conf it didn't seem to have any LoadModule lines so I assumed it was built
as a static system.

I tried the build again using an Apache layout in /usr/local/apache2.  All looked okay and
Apache started up okay.  If I point my browser at the non SSL I get the Apache page up okay.
 If I try it again with https then I get the page cannot be displayed.  I'm assuming therefore
that SSL is not configured properly.

I checked httpd.conf and it appears to have lines:

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
    Include conf/ssl.conf
</IfModule>

ssl.conf appears to have everything I need to use SSL. Can anyone give me a clue as to why
SSL is not working?

Regards

Shaun