httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Tim Burden" <...@burden.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] asp conversion
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:51:36 GMT
There's been quite a bit of talk for a while now about how Google demands
301 redirects in order to avoid problems with duplicate content and with
following the redirect, so the R=301 flag for the rewrite rule is handy.

However, I believe it would be simpler in this case to parse the .asp pages
as PHP. You could do that by adding the .asp extension to your AddType list:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php4 .php3 .phtml .asp

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Crosman" <ACrosman@afsc.org>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 2:23 PM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] asp conversion

>I am involved in converting a web site running asp-iis-ms to
php-apache-linux.  I have several pages under the old site that are
getting a lot of hits
>from the search engines which I would like to preserve.  The pages are
all very simple ... no db access, just html for the most part ...
>but they have the .asp extension.
>
>My question is about Apache::ASP.
>
>Is it feasible to move these pages over and use the Apache::ASP module
to show them?

>Will this mess up my current search engine links to these pages?

During our recent conversion along these same lines we opted to use
mod_rewrite to make sure that all existing links were maintained.  We
were less concerned about the search engines as people's old bookmarks
but I believe the same ideas should apply (at least until Google and
friends re-parse the site, at which point it wont matter anymore).  We
simply redirect all requests to /somepage.asp to /somepage.php.  Granted
I'm still new to Apache and newer still to this list, so there may be
very good reasons why I did it the wrong way, but it seems to be working
well for us.

Aaron