httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Parker" <dogb...@netnevada.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] File descriptor limit in Apache 2.0
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:10:47 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Richardson" <james.richardson@db.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 3:28 AM
Subject: [users@httpd] File descriptor limit in Apache 2.0

> Hi,
>
> I have reached a limit on the number of open files, on my SuSE Linux
> Apache 2 server.
>
> Looking back at the mailing list archives, I see that by editing the
> limits.conf file I can raise the limits above the normal 1024 to some
> fairly arbitrary high value.

In some cases, the limits.conf file will get ignored (not sure why), but
what I usually do to increase open files
(since 1024 per process if you are a regular user can be quite low) is to
modify the linux kernel source to
give more open files on system startup (the file you need to modify is in
/usr/src/linux/include/linux and is
called 'fs.h', you want to set the NR_OPEN value (it's normally 1024) to
some higher value like 8192
(use a power of 2 here), and set the number of reserved files for root (it's
10) to say 128.  Save the
file, and compile away (i'd also change the value in Makefile on the
ExtraVersion line, so you don't
overwrite your working kernel and it's module set).

Always back up your working kernel and modules before doing modifications to
kernel source...

Bill