httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Need help troubleshooting FOLLOWSYMLINKS problem
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:18:30 GMT
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:49:28 -0700, Jon Thor Williams
<jwilliams@thinkstream.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have exhausted all the ideas I have for determining what is dis-allowing my
> web server clients to follow symbolic links in the file system.
>
> I have "AllowOverride None" set in all my Directory contexts....  and so i am
> not using the .htaccess methods as far as i know.  i am using the default httpd
> configuration that comes with Fedora Core 2/Redhat .  i do not have public_html
> directories enabled either.
>
> when i create any arbitrary symbolic link owned by a user called "jwilliams"
> that points to a directory owned by the same user in the ~jwilliams home
> directory the web server does not show me the symbolic links.  real directories
> do show up but the symbolic links are invisible.

"Does not show the symbolic links" seems to suggest that you are
looking at a mod_autoindex created directory listing.  Is that
correct?

If so, try accessing the relevant link directly without going through
the directory listing.  Then look in the error log to see what message
you get.  A strong possibility is that your unix permissions are not
set correctly to give the web server access.

Joshua.