httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Server Stopping
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:45:56 GMT
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:50:00 -0400, K Dey <k_dey@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running apache in dedicated server: After every 2 - 3 days, apache
> server suddenly stops working.
>
> Apache Server: 2.0.40-21.9
> OS: Linux 2.4.25-040218 Red Hat 9

You may have better luck reporting problems to a redhat forum, since
this is an old, redhat-support version of apache.

> Part of Error Log:
> [Mon Aug 23 08:49:50 2004] [warn] child process 320 still did not exit,
> sending a SIGTERM
> [Mon Aug 23 08:49:50 2004] [warn] child process 983 still did not exit,
> sending a SIGTERM

These messages can be a normal response to a server shutdown or
restart.  Are you sure there are no messages like "received SIGTERM,
starting shutdown" in the error log?

You should check all your cron jobs to see if any of them are sending
signals to apache.  A particular place to check is the log rotation
scripts.

Joshua.