httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] unable to POST with mod_include
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:12:26 GMT
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:28:13 -0400, Philip Collins
<philip.collins@unh.edu> wrote:
> I am getting the "The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL"
> when I try to post to a shtml file which includes some dynamic CGI
> forms. I tried specifying the limit directive explicitly allowing GET
> POST, to no avail. I did some web searches, and the only solution (that
> is not really a solution) was to change the action of my forms to the
> script the form is intended for. This is not what I really want. For
> example, I have a web site with menus, search form, and footer - all are
> constructed from separate html files - all included in one shtml file.
> The web page loads correctly, then when I click the submit button with
> some search terms, the form does a POST (GET is not an option), and I
> get the error message. mod_include must have some way to do this. If
> not, why not?

A POST sends data to the script on stdin.  SSI pages have no way to read stdin.

Perhaps what you want is for one of the cgi scripts that you call from
the SSI page to get the input on stdin.  But how is apache supposed to
know which one?

In other words, POST is not supported for SSI pages for good reason.
Perhaps if you explained why you can't use GET we could provide some
other options.

Joshua.