httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Authentication
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:28:12 GMT
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:24:46 -0700, Erin O'Neill <eon@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I've read everything about Authentication on this list and searched google
> extensively. It seems that a lot of places suggest that authentication be
> done under the VirtualHosts directive. I'm cool with that. In the past my
> setup had a Directory directive allowing for .htaccess files. These worked
> but a user had to constantly keep typing in their user/password (over and
> over again! it was quite annoying). There was only ONE .htaccess file in
> the top dir of the restricted area.

This is not the normal state of affairs.  The server will ask for the
password every time, but all decent clients will cache the password
and resend it, as long as you are under the same URL (meaning the new
URL is a superset of the old one) and realm.

If that is not working for you, you should trace the communication
between the client and server and see under what conditions the client
is failing to send the cached password.

Joshua.