httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Activate REMOTE_USER Enviroment Variable
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 02:43:09 GMT
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:25:11 -0300, Ricardo Portilho Proni
<ricardoportilho@uol.com.br> wrote:

>         May I put the directives on the "/" or "cgi-bin" Directory? I ask that
> because I will only need the username with running CGIs.
>         I put the following lines in cgi-bin, and got the 500 error.
>
>         <Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
>         Options ExecCGI
>         AllowOverride None
>         AuthType Basic
>         AuthName "Help"
>         Require valid-user
>         AuthAuthoritative On
>         </Directory>
>
>         One more think, I don't want to require username and password from the
> users, I just want to know who they are. So, what can I do, for
> permmiting their access? I must include every new user with htpasswd?

Please define the term "who they are" more precisely.  HTTP requests
don't come with a C.V. ;-)  In general, the only thing you can find
out about someone without asking explicitly is their IP address and
browser name.  (There is a way to configure identd on a client's
machine to get their userid, but this is highly unreliable.)

To fix your auth problem, start by looking in the apache error log.  A
500 error is almost always accompanied by a detailed message in the
error log.

Joshua.