httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Access log entries out of order - Apache 2
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:24:28 GMT
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:17:13 -0700, Keith Fetterman
<kfetterman@go2marine.com> wrote:
> As I was analyzing the access log of the Apache 2 Web server, I noticed
> that the log entries are not in chronological order.  I see log entries
> intermixed that can be up to a couple of minutes different.  Here is an
> example of the time stamps of the log entries(very abbreviated:)

> Is this normal for Apache 2?  I never saw this behavior with Apache 1.3.
>
> If anyone has experience with this, please let me know if its normal or
> not and if not, any ideas on why its happening.

Apache 2 logs the time when the request was received, while 1.3 logs
the time that the log entry is written.  So requests that take
different times to complete are more likely to be out of order in
apache 2.  If you want to go back to the 1.3 behavior, recompile
apache with I_INSIST_ON_EXTRA_CYCLES_FOR_CLF_COMPLIANCE defined for
the preprocessor.

But note that log entries are not guaranteed to be ordered by time in
1.3 either.  It is just more likely than in 2.0.

Joshua.