httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] AllowOverride and authentication
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:38:20 GMT
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:27:11 -0600, Steve Suhre <steve@antero.com> wrote:

> Thanks Joshua,
>
> I have to use .htaccess files as they're generated from an install script
> and different for each folder. I noticed that your <Directory> was the same
> in both virtualhost sections, shouldn't it reference the specific folder
> for each domain?

No.  That is the problem with your original configuration.  The
AllowOverride directive must apply to the directory containing the
.htaccess file.  The reason is that, when you ask for a file in
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/dir/, apache will look in each path segment
(/usr, /usr/local/, /usr/local/httpd, etc) to see if
1. AllowOverride is *not* set to "none" for that directory; and
2. There is an .htaccess file.

If those two are true, then it will read the .htaccess file and apply
the directives.  So even if you have "AllowOverride none" in
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/dir/, if AllowOverride is "all" in
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs, then the configuration directives in
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs will apply to the subdirectory.

Joshua.