httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Best way to uninstall Apache2 on red hat
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:07:13 GMT
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:39:49 -0500, Eugene Lee <list-apache@fsck.net> wrote:

> Well, honestly, threading *is* the big reason to use Apache 2, from the
> end-users' point of view.

I think that's a hard argument to make when majority of people using
Apache 2 do so in non-threaded mode.  Yes, threading is probably the
single biggest change between 1.3 and 2, but if you compare it to the
union of all the other changes, it would look relatively minor.

> : Many people use apache2 with prefork (non-threaded) because it offers
> : more features than apache1.3, has a better, more flexible foundation,
> : and is potentially faster.
>
> Benchmarks?  I'm open to the idea that Apache 2 could be faster, but I'd
> like more data all the same.

It will be faster in some circumstances and slower in others, which is
why I used the word "potentially".  Hence a single benchmark won't
tell you much.  Apache2 does make agressive use of
sendfile/transmitfile, which should make it faster for static content
on operating systems which support zero-copy.

Joshua.