httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Best way to uninstall Apache2 on red hat
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:07:52 GMT
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:26:11 -0400, Jim Maul <jmaul@elih.org> wrote:
> >> Warning
> >> Do not use Apache 2.0 and PHP in a production environment neither on
> >> Unix nor on
> >> Windows.
> > Went there....read that......still don't know WHY i wouldn't want to use
> > php w/apache2....
>
> Exactly my point.  The dont mention why one shouldnt use them together in a
> production environment.  I can only assume then that it is because apache2 was
> still new and not thoroughly tested..but apache2 is no longer that new and i
> think its been tested quite a bit since it was released.  I think that
> statement is old news and either should be removed from the site or perhaps an
> explanation WHY one shouldnt run them together should be added.  It kinda just
> leaves people wondering...

I believe that this mainly comes from one particular person: Rasmus
Lerdorf.  His argument in more detail is here:
http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2

If you read that you'll see it has nothing really to do with the
stability of apache2 or apache2+php.  His main argument is that
1. PHP cannot work reliably in a threaded environment because it
depends on many libraries, some of which are not thread-safe.
2. The only reason to use apache2 is to get threading.
3. Therefore there is no reason to use apache2+php.

I do not have enough php-foo to comment on 1, but I believe 2 is
completely false, and therefore the argument doesn't hold.  Many
people use apache2 with prefork (non-threaded) because it offers more
features than apache1.3, has a better, more flexible foundation, and
is potentially faster.

And yes, many people do use apache2+php in production.

Joshua.