httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] external stylesheet: alias ???
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:51:21 GMT
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:31:08 -0500, Michael D Schleif <mds@helices.org> wrote:

> Yes, I have tried it, which is why I _know_ that it does not work:
>
>     [Sat Aug  7 19:25:50 2004] [error] [client 192.168.123.150] File does not exist:
/var/www/css/main.css

> I have found oblique references that suggest that the href in linked
> external stylesheets may be ``absolute or relative to the document's
> base URL'' -- and, similarly for imported external stylesheets.  I say
> `oblique', because I have not found a formal specification.

Ahhh... Finally some useful information so we don't have to guess what
your real problem is ;-)

That fact that this is a stylesheet is completely irrelevant.  You
should be testing by accessing
http://yourhost.example.com/css/main.css
directly in your browser.  When you can get the stylesheet that way,
then it should also work in a document.

The error log mesage shows you that Apache does not see the Alias that
you added (assuming your DocumentRoot is /var/www).  So you need to
look at some basic questions:
- Are you editting the right configuration file?
- Have you restarted apache after changing the configuration file?
- Do you have other Aliases that could be overriding this one?
- Is the Alias placed in the main server config section, or is it
inside a <VirtualHost>, <IfModule>, or something similar?

Joshua.