httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] http://login:senha@website.com/ does not works longer?
Date Sat, 07 Aug 2004 18:40:47 GMT
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:55:00 -0300, Tiago <tiago.azeredo@terra.com.br> wrote:
> Could I be succesfull to protect .WMV files using session, cookies or http
> basic auth to grant access?
> I´m looking for ways to authenticate, but i don´t found any material with
> concrete examples with a integration of htaccess + php.
>
> Actually, i have protected "pages" with session +mysql techniques, but using
> ..htaccess not.

HTTP basic auth is what you were already using; it prompts for a
userid and password, which you don't seem to want.

Assuming you already know how to do sessions, one technique you can
use is to make all your requests go through a php page, and then
generate an internal redirect to the wmv file by outputing a
"Location: /path/to/file.wmv" http response header.  I've never tried
this myself in php, but it should work.

Joshua.