httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] What's the difference between mod_cache and the reverse proxy ?
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:30:06 GMT
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 06:15:50 +0900, wolfgang127us@yahoo.co.jp
<wolfgang127us@yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
> Thank you for replying, Joshua.
>
> >  since running mod_proxy without mod_cache
> > wouldn't do anything for you.  It would simply pass every request from
> > one host to another.
>
> You mean if I wanna build a REVERSE proxy with apache,
> I have to install both mod_proxy and mod_cache ??
>
> I thought I could build a reverse proxy with only mod_proxy...

If you want a *caching* reverse proxy, then you need mod_cache.  If
you don't need the caching, then you don't.  (For example, if you are
just running a gateway to bypass a firewall, you may not want to use
mod_cache.)  But it sounds like the main point in your case is the
caching, so you'll certainly want mod_cache.

Joshua.