httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Bailey <j...@ecommerce.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Broken pipe: write pipe_of_death
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 13:36:55 GMT
Server Version: Apache/2.0.50
OS: Fedora Core 2, 2.6.6-1.435.2.3smp kernel

I've looked all over the place with no extended information about how to
proceed with avoiding this warning in my apache error_log.

[Wed Aug 04 15:29:41 2004] [warn] (32)Broken pipe: write pipe_of_death
[Wed Aug 04 15:29:42 2004] [warn] (32)Broken pipe: write pipe_of_death

I'm receiving these error messages about 20 minutes after I do a reload or
restart of the server and it keeps filling my logs until I hup or restart.

If anyone else has experienced this behavior please let me know as it is
quite annoying.  One thing of possible signifigance is this is happening on
2 boxes configured almost exactly the same, load balanced machines.  I have
an assumption that it has something to do with this section although it is
a stock setting for apache on fedora core 2.

# prefork MPM
# StartServers: number of server processes to start
# MinSpareServers: minimum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxSpareServers: maximum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxClients: maximum number of server processes allowed to start
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves

<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers       8
MinSpareServers    5
MaxSpareServers   20
MaxClients       150
MaxRequestsPerChild  1000
</IfModule>

# worker MPM
# StartServers: initial number of server processes to start
# MaxClients: maximum number of simultaneous client connections
# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves

<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers         2
MaxClients         150
MinSpareThreads     25
MaxSpareThreads     75
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

If anyone has any ideas about how to avoid this warning or to even turn it
off I would greatly appeciate any input.  If you need more information then
just let me know and I will provide.

Thanks,
-Jeff