httpd-users mailing list archives

From Angus McIntyre <an...@pobox.com>
Subject [users@httpd] What can cause Apache to 'ignore' AuthBasic in a <Directory>?
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:21:14 GMT
I have a number of virtual hosts on a server running Apache 1.3. The
configuration directives for each vhost are stored in separate files
that are pulled in by an Include in 'httpd.conf'. I know that the
vhost configurations are being read, because the vhosts are there and
behaving as expected.

I'd like to password-protect a directory on one of my vhosts. Here's
what I have in its config file (extraneous details removed).

	<VirtualHost 123.123.123.123>
		DocumentRoot /home/example/www/
		ServerName www.example.net
		ServerAlias example.net

		<Directory "/usr/home/example/www/logs">
		   AuthType Basic
		   AuthName "example.net administration"
		   AuthUserFile /usr/home/example/.htpasswd
		   Require valid-user
		</Directory>
	</VirtualHost>

A suitable and readable p/w file exists at the specified location.
'mod_auth' is apparently loaded. As far as I can tell, everything is
done as recommended in the Apache how-tos, including restarting the
server after editing the file.

The problem is that no authentication is being done. If I try to
access something in the theoretically-protected directory, no
authentication dialog is presented.

Have I made an elementary mistake in the vhost configuration, or
could there be some directive in the 'httpd.conf' file that could be
somehow disabling the effect of AuthType and related directives in
the vhost configuration?

Any suggestions would be welcome, thank you,

Angus