httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can't preview virtual host site locally
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:18:18 GMT
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, David Blomstrom wrote:

> I have Apache installed on my computer, with virtual
> hosts, so I can preview my sites at http://geobop/,
> http://geozoo/, etc.
>
> I just created a new site, which I SHOULD be able to
> preview at http://wbrain/ - but that takes me to
> http://www.everydaycompanion.com/played/WBRAIN.asp
> instead.

This looks like it might be some kind of auto-search feature of whatever
browser you're using for sites that don't resolve to anything useful in
DNS.

> It looks like I have Dreamweaver's testing server set
> up the same as for all my other sites (which work),
> and this is what I put in my conf file:
>
> <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
> ServerAdmin webmaster@wbrain
> DocumentRoot "c:/sites/wbrain"
> ServerName wbrain
> ServerAlias *.wbrain
> ErrorLog logs/wbrain-error.log
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "c:/sites/wbrain/cgi-bin/"
> <Directory "c:/sites/wbrain">
> Options All Includes Indexes
> </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> However, it's been a while since I set up a virtual
> host, and it occurred to me that I may simply be
> omitting a step in the process. Can anyone see what
> I'm doing wrong?

You're probably missing DNS resolution of that name to an IP address. In
your case, given your description, I expect that you need to put an
entry in your host file to map the name to your local address.

--
Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
"Which Road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his