httpd-users mailing list archives

From "mbastreak" <mbastr...@awofm.info>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] problem displaying website.
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:13:22 GMT
Sure, it is easy to set up something to synchronize files if you have a full
blown windows network setup, but I am dealing with w2k workstations. The
reason I have trying to fix this is becuase I have the same setup but I use
a different router. This router is actually a much better router than the
one I use in another setup. The router I am trying to get this work with is
a caymen Netopia 3465 I think.. I can't remember for sure (its at work).
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Zoe Ballz [mailto:zoe@zoeballz.tv]
  Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 7:04 PM
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Subject: Re: [users@httpd] problem displaying website.

  Its not the routers configuration (probably) - its the routers capability.
Most cheaper routers cannot handle the equivalent of a hosts file
themselves. Only the top end routers (as far as I am aware) can do that kind
of thing. If the hosts file works, then your problem is exactly what I said.
If a router can route external port 80 to an internal port 80, most cannot
route an internal port 80 to another internal port. If your router cannot do
this and it is not practical for you to update the hosts files on each
machine, then I would suggest you look into getting a DNS proxy server that
you can set dns overrides to run inside your network. I know there is
software capable of what you require, but I have not used it myself so
cannot recommend one.

  If you are using windows on the other machines - isn't there a way to
synchronise files between machines so you only need to edit 1 and the other
follow suit? (actually - if someone knows how to do this please let me know
anyway =-) )

  Good luck

  Zoe

  http://zoeballz.net - Website Hosting for the Transgendered Community