httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jon Thor Williams" <jwilli...@thinkstream.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Need help troubleshooting FOLLOWSYMLINKS problem
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:49:28 GMT
Hello,

I have exhausted all the ideas I have for determining what is dis-allowing my
web server clients to follow symbolic links in the file system.

I have "AllowOverride None" set in all my Directory contexts....  and so i am
not using the .htaccess methods as far as i know.  i am using the default httpd
configuration that comes with Fedora Core 2/Redhat .  i do not have public_html
directories enabled either.

when i create any arbitrary symbolic link owned by a user called "jwilliams"
that points to a directory owned by the same user in the ~jwilliams home
directory the web server does not show me the symbolic links.  real directories
do show up but the symbolic links are invisible.

as far as i know i have FollowSymLinks enabled.  its possible that i am wrong
but unlikely.

all of the documentation i could possibly find on the internet does not tell you
how to troubleshoot this if its not working as expected.  i get the impression
that httpd , by default, enables the following of symbolic links.  what could i
have possibly done that nuked this?

Can anyone help?

-Jon
jwilliams@thinkstream.com