httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] redirecting from http to https
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:03:18 GMT

Luckily, this exact question came up yesterday - see:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=109342134412796&w=2

Some comments on your various ideas:

> - an index page with <meta refresh> tag to redirect to https domain

Bad idea - relies on the client to work properly... you can't be sure it
will.

> - using mod_rewrite. I don't have any idea, can someone paste
> an example?

Will work but unnecessarily complex. Only needed if your redirection
rules are quite complicated (yours aren't).

> - using mod_redirect. No idea too, an example will be appreciated.

Adequate for a simple case like yours - see link above for how-to.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Security is almost the most important thing.
> I don't like problems, I don't like users avoiding ssl
> (https) in the urls.
>
> Thanks.

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.