httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] New to linux and apache - general question
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:55:23 GMT

If you just have one machine, there's no need for DNS - you just define
the hostname to IP mapping in /etc/hosts. Here's a how-to :
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO/

Basic Idea:

- apache listens to all active IPs on port 80 - so you don't really need
a "Listen" directive. But for explicitness, set it to "Listen 80".

- you link the VH container to the IP - for "any", put a *, eg:

<VirtualHost *>

- In Namebased virtualhosting, you define the VHs with the ServerName
which is the hostname of the machine, eg

ServerName mymachine

- Now your browser needs to convert "mymachine" to the IP (eg,
192.168.1.1) so in /etc/hosts:

192.168.1.1 mymachine

you can have many hosts on the same IP:

192.168.1.1 mymachine myothermachine yetanothermachine

And you ahve different VHs for each one:

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName mymachine

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName myothermachine

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName yetanothermachine

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

-

> I've not set apache to virtual hosting - just as it came no changes
>
> What I'd like to  do is set up virtual hosting i.e  one ip address and
> multiple domains.
> I've looked at the "how to's" and the manuals and feel like
> I'm running
> around in circles
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction a sort of abc? - do I have
> to set up DNS if so what type at the moment it only needs to
> work on my
> local network.
> Or do I just list different names in the host.conf file
>
> Sorry some of us are real doumb

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.