httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] AllowOverride and authentication
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:05:09 GMT

You are misunderstanding the function of AllowOverride. This directive
tells apache which directives, that it finds in a .htaccess file, it is
allowed to obey. If you say  AllowOverride None, you are saying that no
directives in .htaccess are to be obeyed - ie, you might as well remove
the .htaccess file.

To control access based on domain or IP  range, you need the Allow from
directive. Check the docs for details.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Is there another way to do this?
>
> Apache 1.3.2
>
> Here's how the conf file looks:
>
> <Directory /usr/local/httpd/htdocs>
> AllowOverride All
> </Directory>
>

> <Directory /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/folder1>
> AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
>

> I've also got the <Directory>AllowOverride None</Directory>
> in the virtual
> host container for the second domain name. It just seems to
> be ignoring it
> everywhere....
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> ---