httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache need to be restarted ... why ?
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 07:01:22 GMT

The main thing you need to look at is the error_log when the shutdown
occurred. This will contain a log message from apache explaining why it
is shutting down. Until we see that, everything else is guesswork.

PS - still don't know what OS or apache version you're using...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

PS: I know you don't know when the shutdown occurred (you just came in
and it had stopped, right?) but you *do* know when you restarted. Since
nothing was added to the log between shutdown and restart, the shutdown
message is the one immediately before the restart.

> owen wrote ...
>
> - apache called a module which isn't consistently compiled
> (we don't know if he recently recompiled)
>

> as a possible cause ...
>
> ive been  making changed to jsp pages but am not sure if that
> is what u were referring to ...
>
> i read elsewhere that syntax erros on jsp pages would never
> cause the apache to need to be restarted ...
>
> working on these jsp pages is the only actions that have been
> taken on the tomcat web server ... btw its the web server
> that needs to be restarted
>
> i am aware that when adding jsp pages to a directory that
> directory needs to be stopped and started using tomcats web
> manager ... but in this case only work was done on the files
> already in the directory ... and yet problems still arose.
>
> also,  when adding a jsp page to a directory, only that
> directory cannot be loaded up; the root directory still can.
> in my case, nothing can be loaded up when this happens.
>
> thank you
>

> bryan

views of the sender's company.