httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Is it wise and feasible to write .htaccess file for my application??
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:30:37 GMT
1) Plain text please...
2) List users don't appreciate stupid ads - please disable.

Regarding your question - I presume you really mean "Is it wise and
feasible to use Basic Authentication for my application??" To explain:
.htaccess is a mechanism for applying directives to apache from a file
in a directory and without editing the main config or restarting the
server. Among the many directives you can put in a .htaccess file are
those of mod_auth which provide password authentication. However, a) you
can put other directives in a .htaccess and b) you can put your mod_auth
directives directly in the main config.

That aside, the Basic Authentication scheme has its limitations:
- usernames and passwords (the credentials) are sent in simple base64
encoding in the request header. You need to wrap the URL in SSL to truly
encrypt the credentials.
- there is no limit on failed requests or request retry rate (cf. unix
shell) - makes it vulnerable to brute-force cracking methods.
- there is no alert on failed attempts (cf. unix shell); you'd need to
scan the logs.
- password authentication is based on a linear scan through the password
file. If you have thousands of users this can get slow. However, as
Joshua reported on an earlier thread, a DBM-based module exists to speed
this up.
- you can have only one level of authentication (you can't nest realms).

Read http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/auth.html for a step-by-step
guide.

For high performance user authentication and authorization you need to
migrate to a session-based approach (ie, cookies). This requires quite a
heavy server-sided application (eg, CGI, PHP, Java)

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Groupe SWX.