httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Confusion about the hosts
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:24:52 GMT

Is your computer connected to the public internet - via modem, ADSL, LAN
etc.?

If so, your choice of "domain names" will conflict with real names on
the public DNS:

$ nslookup -query=ns def.com

	def.com nameserver = wintermute.ran.es

$ nslookup -query=ns ghg.com

	Non-authoritative answer:
	ghg.com nameserver = ns2.ghg.net
	ghg.com nameserver = ns.ghg.net

	ghg.com nameserver = ns2.ghg.net
	ghg.com nameserver = ns.ghg.net

Also, I don't understand how you have assigned IP addresses like
210.210.122.132 to your machine. This is a real IP address (owned by an
ISP in India) so you mustn't use it on a LAN.

I guess now I'm really confused - it looks like you are using active IPs
and domain names on a private network. If theere's any connection to the
public internet, you'll have the potential for conflict. I don't know
enough about your environment to advise you...

- How many computers are in your network?
- Are any of them connected to the internet?
- Is there a DNS server available? (you mentioned something about
tinydns?)
- what is the "hosts" setting in nsswitch.conf?
- Do you own any of the domains above on the public internet?
- Do you work for Satyam Infoway Pvt.Ltd.?

Read up on http://www.jpsdomain.org/networking/nat.html

for some more background on how IPs are assigned..

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Some information
> 1. Ping
> ping www.def.com
> PING www.def.com (210.210.122.132) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from www.msgeng.com (210.210.122.132): icmp_seq=0 ttl=64
> time=0.037 ms
> --- www.def.com ping statistics ---
> 2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 999ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.037/0.040/0.043/0.003 ms, pipe 2
> [root@ramya conf]# ping www.ghg.com
>
> PING www.ghg.com (210.210.122.132) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from www.msgeng.com (210.210.122.132): icmp_seq=0 ttl=64
> time=0.044 ms
> --- www.ghg.com ping statistics ---
> 2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1000ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.041/0.042/0.044/0.006 ms, pipe 2
>

> 2.I tried to dig all three domains-
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> www.msgeng.com
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 8543
> ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0,
> ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;www.msgeng.com.                        IN      A
>
> ;; Query time: 1 msec
> ;; SERVER: 202.144.76.3#53(202.144.76.3)
> ;; WHEN: Thu Aug 19 10:18:07 2004
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 32
>
> [root@ramya conf]# dig www.def.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> www.def.com
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;www.def.com.                   IN      A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> www.def.com.            2917    IN      A       212.34.140.148
>
> ;; Query time: 1 msec
> ;; SERVER: 202.144.76.3#53(202.144.76.3)
> ;; WHEN: Thu Aug 19 10:18:39 2004
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 45
>
> [root@ramya conf]# dig www.ghg.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> www.ghg.com
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;www.ghg.com.                   IN      A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> www.ghg.com.            13746   IN      A       192.112.219.11
>
> ;; Query time: 1 msec
> ;; SERVER: 202.144.76.3#53(202.144.76.3)
> ;; WHEN: Thu Aug 19 10:18:46 2004
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 45
>
> thanks for replying
> Ramya Krishnan
> --

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persnliche Kommunikation. Sie hat
keinen Bezug zur B rsen- bzw. Geschftst tigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This
exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le prsent e-mail est
un message priv  et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activit boursi re du
Groupe SWX.

The sender’s company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
views of the sender’s company.