httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Unable to configure apache
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:42:58 GMT

So what is your machine name? msgeng.com or www.msgeng.com? Do you know the difference? Is
this a test environment (not on the public internet?) If so, it is conventional to use single
string machine names (eg, msgeng, mymachine etc.) The use of .com etc is restricted for the
public internet and I think you are only confusing yourself (and me).

> Trying 210.210.122.132...
> Connected to www.msgeng.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Hostname: msgeng.com
>
> HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:48:14 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.50 (Unix)

> <title>400 Bad Request</title>
> </head><body>
> <h1>Bad Request</h1>
> understand.<br />
> <hr />
> <address>Apache/2.0.50 (Unix) Server at msgeng.com Port 80</address>
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> ***********
> 3.I am unable to ping to msgeng.com site
> ping: unknown host msgeng.com

So this hostname does not resolve in your /etc/hosts. But then, it looks like you are actually
using www.msgeng.com as the machine name so no wonder.

> 4.  The log files have this
>
> cat msgeng.com-access_log
> 210.210.122.132 - - [18/Aug/2004:17:18:14 +0530] "GET /
> HTTP/1.1" 400 302
>
> cat msgeng.com-error_log
> [Wed Aug 18 17:18:41 2004] [error] [client 210.210.122.132]
> client sent
> HTTP/1.1 request without hostname (see RFC2616 section 14.23): /

Yikes! My mistake, the correct Header is called "Host", ie you type:

Host: msgeng.com

(Hint: you are allowed to look at the RFC yourself! http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html)

> 5. when i try to view msgeng,com in web browser the following appears
> If you can see this, it means that the installation of the Apache web
> server software on this system was successful. You may now
> add content to
> this directory and replace this page....
>
> 6. Now my httpd.conf file has been changed to add a new virtual host
>

> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>       ServerAdmin webmaster@msgeng.com
>       DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs/msgeng
>       ServerName msgeng.com
>       ErrorLog logs/msgeng.com-error_log
>       CustomLog logs/msgeng.com-access_log common
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>       ServerAdmin webmaster@def.com
>       DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs/def
>       ServerName def.com
>       ErrorLog logs/def.com-error_log
>       CustomLog logs/def.com-access_log common
> </VirtualHost>

OK - I think you  are confused about the distinction between www.xyz.com and xyz.com - they
are not the same. The whole dot-com thing is to do with public DNS and the need to distribute
name resolution between a network of name servers. Apache is expecting "Host: def.com" but
your browser is sending "Host: www.def.com" because that's what you're typing in to the location
bar. Either make "ServerName www.def.com" etc, or change the machine names to "def.com" etc.
The "www" isn't some optional extra, it's part of the name....

Rgds,
Owen Boyle