httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Very old problem without any new solution
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:44:39 GMT

                                    ^
why is this a capital "W"-----------¦

Check your spelling - I know XP is case insensitive, but internally when
apache matches strings, it is case sensitive: Mixing case is asking for
trouble...

So this means that you do not have a default file defined in the doc
root. The default file is called "index.html" but you can change this by
setting "DirectoryIndex" (see docs for details). Alternatively, you can
allow apache to make a directory listing by setting "Options Indexes" in
the directory container (see docs for details) inside the VH. Currently,
you have this option disabled. Because of you case mixup, your dir
container might not be being applied.

> If I connected to the internet, it does not show anything if I`m not
> connected (403 error)

This sentence doesn't make any sense (are you connected or not?)

In any case, you cannot access 127.0.0.1 from any network - it is an
internal loopback address which is only accessible from the same
amchine.

> I configured the hosts file (located in
> C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc)
> this way:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.0.1 myvirtualsite
>
> And httpd.conf :
> # ALL MY VIRTUAL HOSTING HERE
> NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80
>
> <virtualhost 127.0.0.1>
> ServerName myvirtualsite
> ServerAdmin admin@localhost
> DocumentRoot "D:/pages_perso/websites/myvirtualsite"
> ScriptAlias "/cgi-bin/" "D:/pages_perso/websites/myvirtualsite/cgi-
> bin"
> </virtualhost>
>
> When, I try in my browser the following:
> http://myvirtualsite
>
> I get a big 403 error.

Exactly. Apache is working perfectly. You simply haven't provided a
DirectoryIndex file and have disallowed directory listing.

To see it working, try http://myvirtualsite/actual_file_name...

Best regards,

Owen Boyle
SWX Swiss Exchange
10 cours de Rive, 1211 Geneva 3, Switzerland
tel: +41 58 854 5648 | fax +41 58 854 5643

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.