httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Steffen Heil" <li...@steffen-heil.de>
Subject AW: [users@httpd] Re: ip aliasing and port forwarding
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:05:03 GMT
Hi

> right now this doesn't work, it seems like I am missing somehting with ip
aliasing.

Right.
You seem to assume, that setting up an alias on eth1:1 make the set up ip
address an alias for the ip address of eth1. This is true, but not as you
interpret it.

In fact, "aliasing" in this context refers to network interfaces, not ips.
[Though it is called ip aliasing.] What it really does is, it binds a second
ip to the same interface.

This way, you can set up multiple ips on one nic. Thats all.
The assigned ips have nothing in common, except that they communication goes
through the same nic (which is what is aliased here).

If you want to so some forwarding between them, you might be able to set
this up in iptables. I have heared about such configurations, but I cannot
help on that.

Regards,
  Steffen