httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Stanislas de Ionecum" <e_lanc...@hotmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Post only once and pray
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:15:12 GMT
Hello,
Ok I will not longer post a message multiple times. I just hope you will
receive it.

I corrected the problem, now I use only name based virtual hosting. But, it
seems there is no
difference between the two, because the problem remains the same. I will be
brief, I will not
post httpd.conf at all, but these problems are very bizarre and I absolutely
intrigued now. I
will just to mention all important details, and you can judge...

1) First of all, the site is only browsable with Mozilla and Netscape. With
them there is no
problem, I can access the sites without issue, even if with Mozilla I have
to specify

http://myvirtualsite/index.shtml

because if I just specify

http://myvirtualsite

Only localhost will be displayed and myvirtualsite will be ignored.

2) With IE, only the first page or the first two page can be displayed and
this only if I choose to work OFFLINE (File/Work Offline menu).

This means that my httpd configuration is not wrong. Perhaps IE interprets
http requests differently than Mozilla...

The problem reduces to JUST THIS. If I'm connected to the internet NO
PROBLEM WILL OCCUR WITH ANY BROWSER.

You can argue: but there is no problem, since you can view your stuff
locally with Mozilla.
That's WRONG. I need to open the sites locally to test them and I'm much
more interested to do
it with IE than with Mozilla. First of all because my websites are all
commercial and the
majority of my clients use IE and not Netscape or Mozilla at all. Second, IE
is much more
intelligent than Mozilla. Optimizing sites for Mozilla is much more time
consuming. ALL my
sites are optimized for IE, they actually have little support for other
browsers, even if they
are as much compatible with them. So itīs natural that I need to test my
websites primarly
with IE and secondarly with Mozilla.

My problem is that I'm not able to put apache to work with IE. And I thinks
the stupid "work offline" option (I should say "the work offline bug") is
deeply involved with this issue.

My question is very specific: *is there a way to solve this problem*? Is
there a way to
configure IE, Apache or perhaps the registry to AUTOMATICALLY AND DIRECTLY
connect to local
host if an internet connection is not available? Why some local pages of my
website are not
accessible if I'm not connected?

It seems that IE is unable to resolve localhost because it first looking for
an internet
connection *before* serving any local pages.

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks
SdeI