httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Stanislas de Ionecum" <e_lanc...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Very old problem without any new solution
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:58:15 GMT
Hello,
I read all replies, I correct all the erros...

Now I solved the problem, the problem was here:

DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var index.shtml

index.shtml was missed, so Apache didn't find any index file and did not
recognized any shtml extension.

Also notice that the difference between

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1
NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.2
<virtualhost 127.0.0.1>
</virtualhost>
<virtualhost 127.0.0.2>
</virtualhost>

and

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1
<virtualhost 127.0.0.1>
</virtualhost>
<virtualhost 127.0.0.1>
</virtualhost>

does not matter.

Some questions follow:
1) The server works well in both ways. So the result is the same, but **what
is the best configuration**?? The first or the second??

2) How can I allow directory listing? I want allow it. I tried to comment
the DirectoryIndex directive, but it does not work.

Now I have another related problem. Internet Explorer can "connect" to
localhost and myvirtualsite ONLY if I'm conntected to the internet. If I
choose the "Work Offline" option, it can load these local sites. But I
cannot browse them... If I click to any link (and these links are all local
and relative links) I get:

"The Web page you requested is not available offline. To view this page,
click Connect".

If I click "Stay Offline" nothing happens... If I click "Connect" I get
this:

"No connection to the Internet is currently available. To view Internet
content that has been saved on your computer, click Work Offline".

I click "Work Offline", nothing happens... I click "Try Again" I get 404.
But this page is L O C A L !!!

Even if I enter directly the address, say http://myvirtualsite/page2.html, I
continue to get 404 error, so now Apache (or Explorer) is only able to see
the index page, not the others!

This problem does not occur with Mozilla...

I know, Windows is sometimes a very stupid system. To make things simpler,
Microsoft actually make them more complicated. I don't like Microsoft. I
know that Linux/UNIX is very but VERY superior. The problem is that lots of
users use Windows and IE to visit webpages... So I must test them with
Internet Explorer, this takes precedence over Mozilla as well.

So do you have any idea to solve this "new" problem?

If you need I send my httpd.conf file I can send it as attachment. Just tell
me. I really need to solve this problem. So briefly, my questions are these:

1) What is the best configuration? One IP or many ? (127.0.0.1, 127.0.0.2,
..., 127.0.0.n)
2) How to allow directory listing in Apache?
3) How to load other pages than index in IE?
And this:
4) You told me that I don't need this info
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ D:/pages_perso/Websites/myvirtualhost/cgi-bin
But, if I do that, will I be able to use cgi-bin directory in ANY virtual
site? This is another very important question.

Thanks for your support. I hope this mailing list is public, because there
is useful info for everybody, not just for me.

SdeI

>From: "Cristian Bichis" <cristian.bichis@gmx.net>
>To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
>Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Very old problem without any new solution
>Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:54:45 +0300
>
>Hi!
>
>Try this (my current configuration):
>
>httpd.conf
>----------
>
>Listen 80
>
>NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1
>NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.2
>NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.3
>NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.4
>
><VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
>
>	ServerName localhost
>	DocumentRoot c:\AppServ\www\
>
></VirtualHost>
>
><VirtualHost 127.0.0.2>
>
>	ServerName test
>	DocumentRoot d:\_Work\test\
>
></VirtualHost>
>
><VirtualHost 127.0.0.3>
>
>	ServerName meridian
>	DocumentRoot d:\_Work\meridian\
>
></VirtualHost>
>
><VirtualHost 127.0.0.4>
>
>	ServerName concept
>	DocumentRoot d:\_Work\concept\
>
></VirtualHost>
>

>hosts file
>----------
>
>127.0.0.1       localhost
>127.0.0.2       test
>127.0.0.3       meridian
>127.0.0.4       concept
>

>Restart Apache...
>
>Now you can try http://concept or http://meridian aso.
>
>Good luck
>
>Cristian

MSNŽ Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling
get-togethers.

  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.