httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Stanislas de Ionecum" <e_lanc...@hotmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Very old problem without any new solution
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:11:05 GMT
Hello,
I searched the archive of the list without any insight. Other mailing lists
are not helpful at all, so I'm forced to find help there.

I'triyng to configure Apache virtual hosting on Windows XP in order to test
my websites locally. My problem is that only the main 127.0.0.1 is working.
Any attenpt to access content of any other address or name from my browser
will produce a 403 access denied error if I connected to the internet and a
404 error if I'm not connected. In other words, only

http://127.0.0.1

show a web page and the virtual sites are completely ignored.

Notice I tried to run Apache either from command line and as service, but
with the same problem.

The error.log show
[Mon Aug 16 14:19:16 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Directory index
forbidden by rule: D:/pages_perso/Websites/myvirtualsite/

If I connected to the internet, it does not show anything if I`m not
connected (403 error)

I configured the hosts file (located in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc)
this way:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 myvirtualsite

And httpd.conf :
# ALL MY VIRTUAL HOSTING HERE
NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80

<virtualhost 127.0.0.1>
ServerName myvirtualsite
ServerAdmin admin@localhost
DocumentRoot "D:/pages_perso/websites/myvirtualsite"
ScriptAlias "/cgi-bin/" "D:/pages_perso/websites/myvirtualsite/cgi-
bin"
</virtualhost>

When, I try in my browser the following:
http://myvirtualsite

I get a big 403 error. And even if I try with:
http://localhost

I have the same error. The error may also be 404, but there is always an
error.

I tried to use the port 8080... Nothing.
I tried to make the myvirtualsite directory public in my permissions...
Nothing
I tried with NameVirtualHost *:80 or even NameVirtualHost * but I get the
following when I start apache: NameVirtualHost *:80 or NameVirtualHost *:0
has not virtual hosts.
I tried to add the following lines just avove the NameVirtualHost directive:

<Directory "D:/pages_perso/websites/myvirtualsite">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes FollowSymLinks
SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI
    AllowOverride None
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory "D:/pages_perso/websites/myvirtualsite">
   AllowOverride None
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes SymLinksifOwnerMatch
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

But still not works, it's even worse: with these directives, the 404 error
is permanent either I'm connected or not to the internet.

This is very old problem, the internet is full of questions about that with
no valuable solutions. Everyone has these problems and the Apache
documentation remain very poor about that and very superficial as well.

Have you any idea? If you need the entire httpd.conf file I can send it.

Thanks
SdeI

SmartScreen Technology.

first two months FREE*.