httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Rajiv Ranjan" <Rajiv_Ran...@mindtree.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] looking for a proxy server
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:52:07 GMT
-----Original Message-----
From: Yi Fang [mailto:yifang@mail.widernet.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 10:11 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; yifang@mail.widernet.org;
users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] looking for a proxy server

Is here a proxy server cache different websites in the different folders. So
we can browers when we are off interent. since in Africa,

Not really, Squid does not give you offilne content.
It acts as a front end (proxy) to a site and caches the content of that site
so that next time when the request comes for the same page it does not have
to go back to the backend to fetch the content. It can serve it from its own
cache. Part of this cache is kept in the memory (very recent content or most
used ones)
and part of it is kept on the file system.

the internet access can be very difficult. Thank you, yi

You still need to be connected to internet to access the content. Besides
Squid also has to keep
its cache in sync with the backend server.

Squid can act as a load balancer + proxy + content cache.