httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steve Suhre <st...@Antero.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] AllowOverride and authentication
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:33:01 GMT

Thanks Joshua,

I guess I don't understand, but you're obviously right. It reads to me like
you set a default for the whole server, then make changes for individual
directories or virtual hosts on that server. So if I have "AllowOverride
None" set in a virtual host container it seems like I should be able to
access directories through that domain without having to log in. But that's
obviously not the way it works....

In this case it's not worth the hassle, they can login using group access,
they just want access to some of it without the inconvenience of clicking
on something... They'll have to click.

At 11:11 AM 8/11/2004, you wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:48:23 -0600, Steve Suhre <steve@antero.com> wrote:
> >

> > Thanks again...
> >
> > Well there's the confusion, the apache web site says you can do it, this
> > was copied from the apache site:
>
>It says you can do *what*?  It works exactly like the docs say, and
>exactly like I said.  They are not contradictory.
>
>Perhaps this is what is confusing you: The AllowOverride directives
>themselves are applied exactly as described in the docs, but once an
>.htaccess file is read, the directives in that .htaccess file apply to
>the directory *and all child directories* regardless of the
>AllowOverride status of the child directories.  AllowOverride controls
>only the reading of the .htaccess file.  It cannot turn off directives
>previously turned on by an .htaccess file.
>
>Joshua.

---
Steve Suhre
Antero web technologies