httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steve Suhre <st...@Antero.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] AllowOverride and authentication
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:48:23 GMT

Thanks again...

Well there's the confusion, the apache web site says you can do it, this
was copied from the apache site:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#directory

-----
If multiple (non-regular expression) directory sections match the directory
(or its parents) containing a document, then the directives are applied in
the order of shortest match first, interspersed with the directives from
the <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/#accessfilename>.htaccess files.

<Directory />
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<Directory /home/>
AllowOverride FileInfo
</Directory>
.
.
.
In Apache 1.3 regular expressions are not considered until after all of the
normal sections have been applied. Then all of the regular expressions are
tested in the order they appeared in the configuration file.

-----

But it's not working so maybe it doesn't work the other way around with All
first....they should specify that.... Or maybe this version is broken. This
server is due for an upgrade anyway.

Thanks for your help.....

At 09:38 AM 8/11/2004, you wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:27:11 -0600, Steve Suhre <steve@antero.com> wrote:
> >

> > Thanks Joshua,
> >
> > I have to use .htaccess files as they're generated from an install script
> > and different for each folder. I noticed that your <Directory> was the same
> > in both virtualhost sections, shouldn't it reference the specific folder
> > for each domain?
>
>No.  That is the problem with your original configuration.  The
>AllowOverride directive must apply to the directory containing the
>.htaccess file.  The reason is that, when you ask for a file in
>/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/dir/, apache will look in each path segment
>(/usr, /usr/local/, /usr/local/httpd, etc) to see if
>1. AllowOverride is *not* set to "none" for that directory; and
>2. There is an .htaccess file.
>
>If those two are true, then it will read the .htaccess file and apply
>the directives.  So even if you have "AllowOverride none" in
>/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/dir/, if AllowOverride is "all" in
>/usr/local/httpd/htdocs, then the configuration directives in
>/usr/local/httpd/htdocs will apply to the subdirectory.
>
>Joshua.

---
Steve Suhre
Antero web technologies