httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Erin O'Neill" <...@stanford.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Authentication
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:24:46 GMT
Hello all!

I've read everything about Authentication on this list and searched google
extensively. It seems that a lot of places suggest that authentication be
done under the VirtualHosts directive. I'm cool with that. In the past my
setup had a Directory directive allowing for .htaccess files. These worked
but a user had to constantly keep typing in their user/password (over and
over again! it was quite annoying). There was only ONE .htaccess file in
the top dir of the restricted area.

I tried to switch to VirtualHost only Authentication and did this:
    <Directory "/www/mySite/html/private">
         Deny from all
         Allow from mydomain.com
         AuthType Basic
         AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/conf/passwords
         AuthName "Restricted directory"
         Require valid-user
         Satisfy any
     </Directory>

I created the passwords file and again I had to type in my
username/password over and over again when I came to mySite outside of
mydomain.com. This is so annoying. Is there another way? I want to be able
to show off this restricted area when on the road so I'd like to use the
user/pwd combo for those times but I'm afraid I'll get tired of the
constant nagging of user/pwd!

Suggestions?

thanks,
erin