httpd-users mailing list archives

From Harold <harold2...@neguide.com>
Subject [users@httpd] What do I do about execO?
Date Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:38:36 GMT
Hello,

I am having no luck getting Apache to run.  The closest point achieved
so far is when I start Console mode.  The screen says:

> [Fri Aug 27 7:16:15 2004] [warn] (2) No such file or directory: execO
> may not be a safe
> Apache/1.3.31 (Win32) running...

Background info --

I want to get PHP to support MySQL on my PC in local mode.  Hence, I
need the server.  I downloaded Apache.  I installed 2.0.  Then I found
mention on the php site that this was a mistake, uninstalled it, and
then installed Apache 1.3.  The system is Windows 98.  Related
functionality -- I've downloaded php-4.3.8-Win32.zip.  I'm aiming at
using the CGI executable version of PHP (php.exe).  The php
distribution file was extracted to c:\php, and the extension dlls are
in c:\php\extensions.  The php.ini resides in c:\Windows\ and has been
edited to show extension_dir = "c:\php\extensions." The dlls in the
distribution were copied to c:\windows\system.  I downloaded and ran
MDAC 2.8 from Microsoft. The Registry shows a path to c:\php\php.exe.

During set-up I entered my email address, "localhost" and "127.0.0.1."

Settings in Apache's conf include

-- Two lines at top of file:
ScriptAlias /php/ "c:/php/"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

-- The rest of the file is pretty much at default, including:
ServerRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache"
ServerName 127.0.0.1
DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs"

I did find a reference which bothers me:
# Under Win32, we do not currently try to determine the home directory of
# a Windows login, so a format such as that below needs to be used.  See
# the UserDir documentation for details.
#
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    UserDir "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/users/"
</IfModule>

There is no /users/ directory!  Also, there is no error log in the
(still empty) /logs/ directory.

In C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs I have two test files,
test.html and test.php.  Both include this in the <body>:
<?php echo "PHP says Hi, too";
phpinfo();
?>

If I open either directly, only the HTML line appears.  There seems to
be no connection between the page and PHP.  If I address the files as
http://localhost/test.html
http://localhost/test.php
http://127.0.0.1/test.html
http://127.0.0.1/test.php
they all go to "page cannot be displayed."

Apache is running as a Service.  The above execO error is seen when I
then click on the icon to open it as a Console.

I also ran across:

> Because Apache cannot share the same port with another TCP/IP
> application, you may need to stop, uninstall or reconfigure certain
> other services before running Apache. These conflicting services
> include other WWW servers and some firewall implementations.

So I turned off both firewall and virus protection;  no change.  I am
*not* about to uninstall them!

I have visited the faq and have done searches on the archives.  No joy.
That's all I know about what to say or observe, and have now exhausted
my technical knowledge of the product outside of
see-the-dog-see-the-dog-run explanations.  Any idea where I might
find/fix my major foul-up?

I hope this mailing list responds directly;  I'm having trouble figuring
out how to get current postings.

Thanks for your time.

Harold