httpd-users mailing list archives

From Remco Bressers <re...@signet.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Directorylisting files root:wheel
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:44:57 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:22:54 +0200, Remco Bressers <remco@signet.nl> wrote:
>

>>I am now building a webinterface, to let the support folks overhere
>>scroll through the backups and ALSO download stuff from the backups.
>>There are (ofcourse) several files owned by root and only readable by
>>root so i need Apache to read them..  (maybe some wrapper or anything?!)
>>

>Other than that, there is no way to do this that I know of.  It would
>be the same as placing apache on the original servers.  It can only
>access those files it has permissions to access.

Alright,.. so i guess compiling Apache with -DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE is the
only 'easy' way of doing this?
Are there any caveats in doing this? I will be the only one having
access to the webroot of Apache, so no-one will be able to put scripts
(php) or whatever overthere. Are there any other things i need to be
aware of before running Apache as root ?!

Thanks!

Remco

>Joshua.

Met vriendelijke groet,